Everyone has their own little things that they know lift their mood. So in honor of the bad mood I’m in right now, I’m gonna post my 5 quick fixes that help lift my mood. They may or may not work for you, but maybe it’ll help you think of the things that lift your mood!
- Bath Time : This will forever be my go- to fix when I’m down. Bubbles and salts included. Candles and music optional. It gives me a chance to relax and be by myself. Trust me, I love my husband and baby… But when you’re a stay at home mom you sometimes need a 30 minute break from having a baby claw at your face and reaching for your *ahem* chest to nurse… You catch my drift. (lately I’ve been really enjoying making different bath salts with some essential oils… They smell divine and help my mood. However, always make sure you’re using your oils safely!)
- Exercise : “come on Ruth, could you have thought of a less cliche ‘mood lifter’?” No. I really couldn’t. But that’s because it works! You know…endorphins and stuff. But this is always super hard for me to get started and do. And I get sooooo peeved at my husband when he pushes me to go for a run. So peeved. I may have once or twice pulled the dreaded “are you calling me fat” card when he’s told me to go running. But by the end of the run, I tend to have a clearer perspective. Can’t argue with that.
- Create : Baking, cooking a new meal, coloring, or painting. Those are my favs. The point is when I do one of these it occupies my thoughts completely, and before I know it I’m feeling more positive because I just made something
- Clean : I think this might make me a little weird but I’m sure there are those freaks out their who like to clean too. But, one of the tell tale signs that I’m doing badly is if my room (or now I guess home because I’m a “grown up”) is a disaster. You should have seen my room in college when I would be going through bad times. Scratch that, you shouldn’t because I’d be humiliated. Anyway, but now I’m kind of the opposite. I need my house to be spotless because if it isn’t I will collapse. I’ve been known to go on a cleaning frenzy and my husband takes our baby and slips out the door and my dog hides in his bed lest he accidentally be vacuumed up. But a clean home makes me feel soooo much better and soooo productive.
- Go Outisde: The sun can do an amazing thing on your mood. And sometimes you just need to get out of the house. During the Jon-winter months it’s amazing to just grab the baby and head out on a walk. However, now that I’m enduring enjoying these Midwest winter months, even just taking my little one to walk through a store can help not feel stuck.
I’m not going to include this in my list, but I’ve found that writing a blog post actually helps to. I don’t know why, probably because I want everyone else to join me in my misery. Muahaha.
Now, there are two things that I KNOW do not help my mood, but they are my weakness. Food and sleep.
- Food, because I can so very easily begin to eat my feelings.
- Sleep, because for many years I used sleep to self medicate. Now taking a nap can definitely help mood, especially for sleep deprived mommys, but I know that I shouldn’t use a nap as a means of escape.
I hope this helps people think about some small things that might help them!
I am not a doctor or physician, but I consulted both before starting my journey. If you need help consult the professionals immediately! I have no training. The professionals do and they are there to help!